Monday, April 5, 2010

Molly Malone's Irish Pub - St. Matthews

I went to the new Molly Malone's for lunch last Friday and actually got a sunburn (!) while enjoying my lunch on the patio. I'm starting to wonder if Summer kicked Spring's butt and decided to move in early. I'm not complaining.

So, Molly Malone's is located at 3900 Shelbyville Road in St. Matthews Station, and it's huge. I walked in last Friday and noticed that there's an upstairs area inside for additional seating on the weekends. The place is a lot larger than the Highlands location. The first floor is open and spacious, with the main bar located in the center of the room. There's also a smaller bar in the corner next to the door leading out to the patio. I asked the hostess if I could sit outside, and she obliged my request. Before I talk about my lunch, I have to comment that the overall attitudes of the employees on this particular day weren't too great. I don't think I got a smile from one person while I was there. Being a server/bartender myself, I thought this was really lame. If you hate your job that much, find something else to do instead of making everyone around you suffer as well. Ok, I've said it. Moving on.

The weather was amazing, so my mood immediately improved. I ordered a water from my surly server and looked over the lunch menu. I chose the Blackened Tuna Sandwich, a filet of blackened tuna, pan-fried, served on a bun, with a side of remoulade. I ordered the cole slaw as my side. It came pretty fast, and aside from the fact that the slaw was more like a soup, I really enjoyed it. I ordered the tuna medium, and it was cooked perfectly. The blackening was plentiful and spicy. Instead of lettuce, it had a mound of spring mixed greens, as well as tomato and onion. And, it was a big sandwich. I only ate half of it and got a box for the rest. The tuna filet was so moist and yummy, I ate the other half of my sandwich for dinner that night.

My total bill with tax was $9.49, and I left the guy a $1 because he just wasn't very nice. The food was good, but I'm not sure I'll go back. Service with a smile really does leave a lasting impression.

Cheers,
Fleur de Lunch

No comments:

Post a Comment